Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Cracking the Safe



While the locks were being changed out on all exterior doors, I found this safe in the basement. What luck to find a safe in the basement at the same time a locksmith is in your house! I lugged the heavy thing upstairs (it rattled, so I knew there was something in it) and plopped it down on the kitchen counter. I asked the locksmith if he could crack it.

"Theoretically..." he responded, never having actually cracked a safe before. He explained what he would have to do, but I had no idea what he was talking about. I told him if he could crack it, we would split any valuables inside.

So he drilled it. His bit smoked and made some strange sounds. At one point the bit got stuck on the drill and we had to pry it off. The first hole was low. He was aiming for the iterior dial. The second hole was good enough. He had this little head lamp so he could see into the hole and the the dial beyond. Whenever the correct number of the safe came up, a little notch would appear. He spun the dial and called out numbers, which I wrote down on a paper towel. After he had the four numbers, he opened the safe. What glorious treasures of lay within:

Contents: A little black address book, a 1920s news article about how to have boys rather than girls when attempting to have children, a 1912 Liberty Dime, a 1976 Dollar Coin, a silver necklace, a piece of paper with the safe's combination, and a CD with cartoonish pictures of Satan all over it...

The liberty dime was only worth about 5 bucks. Someday I will take the necklace to the jeweller in Maplewood (who still exists) and see if it is worth anything. As for the satan CD... I put it back in the safe and despite now having the combination I can't get it open again!

No comments:

Post a Comment